CLC Pram #3 the Bulkhead

Happy day y’all. Here’s the next update on the CLC Eastport Nesting Pram. It’s all about the bulkhead. It’s the wall in the middle which will be doubled since the boat will be “doubled” after being cut in two.

DSC01873DSC01874First thing was to cut up a thick piece of cardboard which will be sandwiched between the 2 bulkheads so we’ll be able to saw apart the boat. Then re-drill the holes I filled with epoxy.




The hard part is lining them up just right and not to make a mess out of it. Well… I guess noone is perfect!

DSC01878DSC01879Then it’s time to start aligning  the bulkheads and passing in the carrage bolts which will be epoxy-ed in the forward bulkhead.

And to place the in-between cardboard, do a final dry fit and screw the whole thing down.


Time to get real. Which means…. wearing gloves, mixing epoxy with cabosil and not handling a camera. One by one I removed a bolt, wet the countersink with un-thickened epoxy (via a toothbrush) where the bolt head will slightly protrude, then fill in the countersink with thickened epoxy, wax the bolt threads, pass the bolt through, clean up the threads on the other side with de-natured alcohol and install the nut. Repeat the process for the next 5 bolts. The masking tape helps to clean up the mess. I had some leftover thickened epoxy so I mixed in some wood powder and assembled the daggerboard trunk plug.

DSC01884The next morning I un-screwed and screwed the nuts a bit cause they were starting to stick with some epoxy residue. After work I un-screwed the nuts and tried to separate the bulkheads. An my heart began to sink. They where f-ing stuck together!! The manual said to use floor wax on the screws. Not having any I used some real old car wax which was a dumb idea! Real dumb!! Apparently the bolts got stuck in the mating holes. In a freaked out state I started prying the bulkheads apart using 2 big screwdrivers (destroying the cardboard) and in about half an hour I got them apart. It was only 24 hours so the epoxy hadn’t cured 100%. I was having visions of building the whole boat, sawing it in half and not being able to separate it. Jeeeez!!!

Ok, it’s done. All is good. The mating holes needed to be drilled out a bit and now the 2 bulkheads seem to fit well and easily. And all this got me thinking. In all the videos I’ve seen, they show separating the boat in half… but none putting it back together! Time will tell…

Time to start stitching!!

Stay tuned… and wax them screws… and leave the dolphins alone!

Capt Pete.

DSC01885ps… sneak preview… I started stitchin’ last night. It’s gonna be alot of stitching!!

pss… building a boat in your (ex)bedroom requires scotch and jazz… or is it just me…? And no, the epoxy day had no scotch!

About Sailing Zoot Allures

A demoralized mechanical engineer/ bass player/ sound engineer/editor seeks Freedom
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to CLC Pram #3 the Bulkhead

  1. Matt says:

    It’s looking really good – congrats on saving the day with a bit of brute force!


  2. Good idea to put an ice cube in the scotch, don’t want to confuse it with the cup of epoxy!!
    Looking forward to the “sawing it in half trick” and the inauguration splash.


    • Believe me (nothing to do with Trump). I fell off my chair LMFAO!!! It was the day of your comment on the previous post. Yeah, didn’t/couldn’t hole the drill up perpendicularly enough….narf narf narf (it’s obvious I’m not a serious “person”)


  3. Rachel says:

    Just catching up on this project, wow! Looks like a lot of work. Scotch definitely helps!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s